- 1a period of time between two events The interval between major earthquakes might be 200 years. He knocked on the door and after a brief interval it was opened.
- 2 [usually plural] a short period during which something different happens from what is happening the rest of the time She's delirious, but has lucid intervals.
- 3 (music) a difference in pitch (= how high or low a note sounds) between two notes an interval of one octave Idioms
- 1with time between Buses to the city leave at regular intervals. The runners started at 5-minute intervals.
- 2 with spaces between Traffic cones were positioned at intervals along the road.
nounjump to other results
at (…) intervalsjump to other results