- 1(of people) having a close and friendly relationship intimate friends We're not on intimate terms with our neighbors.
- 2private and personal, often in a sexual way The article revealed intimate details about his family life. the most intimate parts of her body
- 3(of a place or situation) encouraging close, friendly relationships, sometimes of a sexual nature an intimate restaurant He knew an intimate little bar where they would not be disturbed.
- 4 (of knowledge) very detailed and thorough an intimate knowledge of the countryside
- 5(of a link between things) very close an intimate connection between class and educational success
- 6intimate (with somebody) (formal or law) having a sexual relationship with someone
- intimately connected/linked/related an area of the country that he knew intimately She was intimately involved in the project.
intimately adverbjump to other results