- 1[countable] a place where two bones are joined together in the body in a way that enables them to bend and move inflammation of the knee joint My joints are really stiff this morning. see also ball-and-socket joint
- 2[countable] a place where two or more parts of an object are joined together, especially to form a corner
- 3[countable] (informal) a place where people meet to eat, drink, dance, etc., especially one that is cheap a fast-food joint The joint was jumping (= full of people and activity).
- 4 the joint [singular] (informal) prison; jail thirty years in the joint
- 5[countable] (informal) a cigarette containing marijuana (= an illegal drug) Idioms
- 1(of a bone) pushed out of its correct position She put her hip out of joint in the accident.
- 2not working or behaving in the normal way Time is thrown completely out of joint in the opening chapters.
to look carefully around a building so that you can plan how to steal things from it at a later time
case the joint (informal)jump to other results
out of jointjump to other results
to upset or annoy someone, especially by not giving them enough attention
put somebody's nose out of joint (informal)jump to other results