- 1 [uncountable] small pieces of garbage such as paper, cans, and bottles, that people have left lying in a public place There will be fines for people who drop litter.
- 2 [singular] litter of something a number of things that are lying in a messy way The floor was covered with a litter of newspapers, clothes, and empty cups.
- 3 [uncountable] a dry substance that is put in a shallow open box for pets, especially cats, to use as a toilet when they are indoors cat litter a litter box
- 4[countable] a number of baby animals that one mother gives birth to at the same time a litter of puppies the runt (= the smallest and weakest baby) of the litter
- 5[uncountable] the substance, especially straw, that is used for farm animals to sleep on
- 6[countable] a kind of chair or bed that was used in the past for carrying important people