- 1[uncountable] a strong feeling of deep affection for someone or something, especially a member of your family or a friend a mother's love for her children love of your country He seems incapable of love. romantic
- 2[uncountable] a strong feeling of affection for someone that you are sexually attracted to a love song/story We're in love! She was in love with him. They fell in love with each other. It was love at first sight (= they were attracted to each other the first time they met). They're madly in love. Their love grew with the years. Topic CollocationsMarriage and Divorceromance fall/be (madly/deeply/hopelessly)in love (with somebody) be/believe in/fall in love at first sight be/find true love/the love of your life suffer (from) (the pains/pangs of) unrequited love have/feel/show/express great/deep/genuine affection for somebody/something meet/marry your husband/wife/partner/fiancé/fiancée/boyfriend/girlfriend have/go on a (blind)date be going out with/dating a guy/girl/boy/man/woman move in with/live with your boyfriend/girlfriendweddings get/be engaged/married/divorced arrange/plan a wedding have a big wedding/a honeymoon/a happy marriage have/enter into an arranged marriage call off/cancel/postpone your wedding invite somebody to/go to/attend a wedding/a wedding ceremony/a wedding reception conduct/perform a wedding ceremony exchange rings/wedding vows/marriage vows congratulate/toast/raise a glass to the happy couple be/go on your honeymoon (with your wife/husband) celebrate your first (wedding) anniversaryseparation and divorce be unfaithful to/ (informal) cheat on your husband/wife/partner/fiancé/fiancée/boyfriend/girlfriend have an affair (with somebody) break off/end an engagement/a relationship break up with/ (informal) dump your boyfriend/girlfriend separate from/be separated from/leave/divorce your husband/wife annul/dissolve a marriage file for/ask for/go through/get a divorce get/gain/be awarded/have/lose custody of the children pay alimony/child support (to your ex-wife/husband) enjoyment
- 3[uncountable, singular] the strong feeling of enjoyment that something gives you a love of learning He's in love with his work. Ifell in love with the house. someone or something you like
- 4[countable] a person, a thing, or an activity that you like very much Take care, my love. He was the love of my life (= the person I loved most). I like most sports but tennis is my first love. in tennis
- 5[uncountable] a score of zero (points or games) 40–love! She won the first set six–love/six games to love. Idioms
nounjump to other results
in some situations any type of behavior is acceptable to get what you want
all's fair in love and war (saying)jump to other results
without receiving payment or any other reward They're all volunteers, working for the love of it.
(just) for love, (just) for the love of somethingjump to other results
used when you are expressing anger and the fact that you are impatient For the love of God, tell me what he said!
for the love of God (old-fashioned) (informal)jump to other results
used to send good wishes to someone Give my love to Mary when you see her. Bob sends his love.
give/send my love to somebody (informal)jump to other results
loving someone very much He's fallen head over heels in love with his boss.
head over heels in lovejump to other results
a hard task that you do because you want to, not because it is necessary Writing the book was a labor of love.
a labor of lovejump to other results
used at the end of a letter to a friend or to someone you love, followed by your name Lots of love, Jenny
love (from), lots of love (from) (informal)jump to other results
when you love someone, you cannot see their faults
love is blind (saying)jump to other results
to have sex
make love (to somebody)jump to other results
if you say you cannot do something for love nor money, you mean it is completely impossible to do it We couldn't find a taxi for love nor money.
not for love or/nor moneyjump to other results
they do not like each other There's no love lost between her and her in-laws.
there's little/no love lost between A and Bjump to other results