- 1mean (to somebody) (of people or their behavior) unkind, for example by not letting someone have or do something Don't be so mean to your little brother! angry/violent
- 2 likely to become angry or violent That's a mean-looking dog. skillful
- 3 (informal) very good and skillful He's a mean tennis player. She plays a mean game of chess. average
- 4[only before noun] (technology) average; between the highest and the lowest, etc. the mean temperature poor
- 5(literary) poor and dirty in appearance mean houses/streets
- 6(old-fashioned) born into or coming from a low social class These rights apply even to the meanest laborer.
- NAmE//ˈminnəs//noun [uncountable] Idioms
unkindadjectivejump to other results
meanlyadjectivejump to other results
meannessjump to other results
used to say that someone is very good at doing something His mother was a painter, and he's no mean artist himself.
be no mean…(approving)jump to other results