- 1 [countable] a particular way of doing something; a particular type of something a mode of communication a mode of behavior environmentally-friendly modes of transport
- 2[countable, uncountable] the way in which a piece of equipment is set to perform a particular task Switch the camera into (the) automatic mode. You can also use this computer game in two-player mode.
- 3[uncountable] a particular way of feeling or behaving to be in holiday mode
- 4[countable, usually singular] a particular style or fashion in clothes, art, etc. a rock video made by a director who really understands the mode see also à la mode, modish
- 5[singular] (technology) a set of notes in music that form a scale the major/minor mode
- 6[singular] (mathematics) the value that appears most frequently in a series of numbers
nounjump to other results