- 1a copy of something, usually smaller than the original object a working model (= one in which the parts move) of a fire engine a model airplane The architect had produced a scale model of the proposed shopping complex. fashion
- 2a person whose job is to wear and show new styles of clothes and be photographed wearing them a fashion model a male model design
- 3a particular design or type of product The latest models will be on display at the motor show. for artist
- 4a person who is employed to be painted, drawn, photographed, etc. by an artist or photographer example to copy
- 5something such as a system that can be copied by other people The nation's constitution provided a model that other countries followed.
- 6 (approving) a person or thing that is considered an excellent example of something It was a model of clarity. a model student a model farm (= one that has been specially designed to work well) see also role model description of system
- 7a simple description of a system, used for explaining how something works or for calculating what might happen, etc. a mathematical model for determining the safe level of pesticides in food Topic CollocationsScientific Researchtheory formulate/advance a theory/hypothesis build/construct/create/develop a simple/theoretical/mathematical model develop/establish/provide/use a theoretical/conceptual framework/an algorithm advance/argue/develop the thesis that… explore an idea/a concept/a hypothesis make a prediction/an inference base a prediction/your calculations on something investigate/evaluate/accept/challenge/reject a theory/hypothesis/modelexperiment design an experiment/a questionnaire/a study/a test do research/an experiment/an analysis make observations/calculations take/record measurements carry out/conduct/perform an experiment/a test/a longitudinal study/observations/clinical trials run an experiment/a simulation/clinical trials repeat an experiment/a test/an analysis replicate a study/the results/the findings observe/study/examine/investigate/assess a pattern/a process/a behavior fund/support the research/project/study seek/provide/get/secure funding for researchresults collect/gather/extract data/information yield data/evidence/similar findings/the same results analyze/examine the data/soil samples/a specimen consider/compare/interpret the results/findings fit the data/model confirm/support/verify a prediction/a hypothesis/the results/the findings prove a conjecture/hypothesis/theorem draw/make/reach the same conclusions read/review the records/literature describe/report an experiment/a study present/publish/summarize the results/findings present/publish/read/review/cite a paper in a scientific journal
nounjump to other results