- 1[countable] a space or hole that someone or something can pass through We could see the stars through an opening in the roof.
- 2[countable, usually singular] the beginning or first part of something The movie has an exciting opening. opposite ending
- 3[countable, usually singular] a ceremony to celebrate the start of a public event or the first time a new building, road, etc. is used the opening of the Olympic Games the official opening of the new hospital
- 4 [countable, uncountable] the act or process of making something open or of becoming open the opening of a flower the opening of the new play The new store will have its grand opening next week. opposite closing
- 5[countable] a job that is available synonym vacancy There are several openings in the sales department.
- 6[countable] a good opportunity for someone Winning the competition was the opening she needed for her career.
- 7[countable] part of a piece of clothing that is made to open and close so that it can be put on easily The skirt has a side opening.
nounjump to other results