- 1 [countable] an object that is used as decoration in a room, garden, etc. rather than for a particular purpose a china/glass ornament
- 2 [countable] (formal) an object that is worn as jewelry Archeologists have uncovered necklaces, pendants and other personal ornaments from the third century.
- 3 [uncountable] (formal) the use of objects, designs, etc. as decoration The clock is simply for ornament; it doesn't work anymore.
- 4 ornament to something a person or thing whose good qualities improve something The building is an ornament to the city.
- 5 ornaments [plural] (music) features that are added when playing individual notes to make them more beautiful or interesting ornaments such as trills and mordents Ornaments are a crucial part of the baroque style.