- 1the outside [countable, usually singular] the outer side or surface of something synonym exterior The outside of the house needs painting. You can't open the door from the outside.
- 2[singular] the area that is near or around a building, etc. I walked around the outside of the building. I didn't go into the temple—I only saw it from the outside.
- 3[singular] the part of a road nearest to the middle Always overtake on the outside.
- 4[singular] the part of a curving road or track furthest from the inner or shorter side of the curve opposite the inside Idioms
- 1used to describe how someone appears or seems On the outside she seems calm, but I know she's worried.
- 2not in prison Life on the outside took some getting used to again.
nounjump to other results
at the most; as a maximum There was room for 20 people at the outside.
at the outsidejump to other results
on the outsidejump to other results