- 1possibly synonym maybe “Are you going to come?” “Perhaps. I'll see how I feel.” Perhaps he's forgotten.
- 2 used when you want to make a statement or an opinion less definite This is perhaps his best novel to date.
- 3used when making a rough estimate a change that could affect perhaps 20% of the population
- 4used when you agree or accept something unwillingly, or do not want to say strongly that you disapprove “You could do it yourself.” “Yeah, perhaps.”
- 5 used when making a polite request, offer, or suggestion Perhaps it would be better if you came back tomorrow. I think perhaps you've had enough to drink tonight. Perhaps you'd like to have a shower before the others arrive. Perhaps you would be good enough to let him know we are on our way. Language Bankperhapsmaking an opinion sound less definite Most cybercrime involves traditional crimes, such as theft and fraud, being committed in new ways. Phishing is perhaps/possibly/probably the best-known example of this. It seems/appears that the more personal data that organizations collect, the more opportunity there is for this information to be lost or stolen. It seems clear that the widespread use of Social Security numbers to identify people contributes to the problem of identity theft. It could be argued that the widespread use of Social Security numbers to identify people contributes to the problem of identity theft. It is possible that/It may be that the only way to protect ourselves against DNA identity theft is to avoid the creation of national DNA databases.
adverbjump to other results