- 1 [uncountable, countable] a system for talking to someone else over long distances using wires or radio; a machine used for this; a telephone I have to make a phone call. The phone rang and Pat answered it. They like to do business by phone/over the phone. His phone must be switched off. I don't have my phone with me. a phone bill see also car phone, cell phone, pay phone, telephone
- 2 [countable] the part of a phone that you hold in your hand and speak into; a telephone to pick up the phone He left the phone off the hook as he didn't want to be disturbed. see also telephone
- 3-phone (in nouns) an instrument that uses or makes sound dictaphone xylophone
- 4-phone (in adjectives and nouns) speaking a particular language; a person who does this anglophone francophone
- 5(phonetics) a sound made in speech, especially when not considered as part of the sound system of a particular language compare phoneme Topic CollocationsPhonesmaking and receiving phone calls the phone/telephone rings answer/pick up/hang up the phone/telephone lift/pick up/hold/replace the receiver dial a phone number/an extension number/a wrong number/an area code call somebody/talk (to somebody)/speak (to somebody) on the phone/telephone; from home/work/the office make/get/receive a phone call take the phone off the hook (= remove the receiver so that the phone does not ring) the line is busy the phones have been ringing off the hook (= ringing frequently) put somebody through/get through to the person you want to speak to put somebody on hold (= so that they must wait for the person they want to speak to) call from/use a landlinecell phones be/talk on a cell phone/ (informal) cell use/answer/call (somebody on)/get a message on your cell phone/cell switch/turn on/off your cell phone/cell charge/recharge your cell phone/cell a cell phone is on/is off/rings/goes off/is on vibrate/is on silent/is in silent mode send/receive a text (message)/a picture message insert/remove/change a SIM cardIdioms
nounjump to other results
to be using the telephone He's been on the phone with Kate for more than an hour.
be on the phonejump to other results