- 1(grammar) a group of words without a finite verb, especially one that forms part of a sentence. “The green car” and “on Friday morning” are phrases. see also noun phrase Thesauruswordterm phrase expression idiomThese are all words for a unit of language used to express something.word a single unit of language that means something and can be spoken or written:Do not write more than 200 words. He uses a lot of long words.term (somewhat formal) a word or phrase used as the name of something, especially one connected with a particular type of language:technical/legal/scientific terms “Old man” is a slang term for “father.”phrase a group of words that have a particular meaning when used together:Who coined the phrase “desktop publishing” (= used it for the first time)? In grammar, a phrase is a group of words without a finite verb, especially one that forms part of a sentence: “the green car” and “on Friday morning” are phrases.expression a word or phrase:He tends to use lots of new expressions that I've never heard before.idiom a group of words whose meaning is different from the meanings of the individual words:“To let the cat out of the bag” is an idiom meaning to tell a secret by mistake.Patterns a(n) word/term/expression for something a new word/term/phrase/expression a technical/colloquial/slang word/term/phrase/expression an idiomatic phrase/expression to use a(n) word/term/phrase/expression/idiom to coin a(n) word/term/phrase/expression a(n) word/term/phrase/expression/idiom means something
- 2 a group of that which have a particular meaning when used together a memorable phrase She was, in her own favorite phrase, “a woman without a past.” see also catchphrase
- 3 (music) a short series of notes that form a unit within a longer passage in a piece of music Idioms
- 1used to show that you are aware that you are using an expression that is not new Oh well, no news is good news, to coin a phrase.
- 2 used to introduce a well-known expression that you have changed slightly in order to be funny Tasting is believing, to coin a phrase! (= the usual phrase is “seeing is believing”).
nounjump to other results
to coin a phrasejump to other results
a particular way of describing something
a turn of phrasejump to other results