- 1[usually before noun] (of eyes or the way they look at someone) seeming to notice things about another person that would not normally be noticed, especially in a way that makes that person feel anxious or embarrassed She looked at me with piercing blue eyes. a piercing look
- 2[usually before noun] (of sounds) very high, loud, and unpleasant synonym shrill a piercing shriek She has such a piercing voice.
- 3[only before noun] (of feelings) affecting you very strongly, especially in a way that causes you pain piercing sadness
- 4(of the wind or cold) very strong and feeling as if it can pass through your clothes and skin
- 5[only before noun] sharp and able to make a hole in something The animal is covered in long piercing spines.
- adverb His eyes were piercingly blue. The weather remained piercingly cold.
piercinglyjump to other results