- 1a person who takes part in a game or sport a tennis/soccer/chess, etc. player a game for four players a midfield player We've lost two key players to injury.
- 2 a company or person involved in a particular area of business or politics The company has emerged as a major player in the Los Angeles property market. see also team player
- 3(in compounds) a machine for reproducing sound or pictures that have been recorded on CDs, etc. a CD/DVD/cassette/record player
- 4(usually in compounds) a person who plays a musical instrument a trumpet player
- 5 (old-fashioned) (especially in names) an actor The Phoenix Players present “Romeo and Juliet.”
nounjump to other results