- 1 [uncountable, countable] a substance used when rubbing a surface to make it smooth and shiny furniture/floor/shoe/silver polish wax polish see also nail polish
- 2[singular] an act of polishing something I give it a polish now and again.
- 3 [singular] the shiny appearance of something after it has been polished synonym luster, sheen
- 4[uncountable] a high quality of performance achieved with great skill She played the cello with the polish of a much older musician.
- 5[uncountable] high standards of behavior; being polite synonym refinement She thought that her husband's family lacked polish. Idioms
nounjump to other results
thorough cleaning and polishing of something
spit and polish (informal)jump to other results