- 1[uncountable] letters, words, numbers, etc. that have been printed onto paper in large/small/bold print The print quality of the new laser printer is superb. see also the fine print newspapers/books
- 2[uncountable] used to refer to the business of producing newspapers, magazines, and books the print media print unions mark
- 3[countable, usually plural] a mark left by your finger, foot, etc. on the surface of something His prints were found on the gun. see also fingerprint, footprint picture
- 4[countable] a picture that is cut into wood or metal then covered with ink and printed onto paper; a picture that is copied from a painting using photography a framed set of prints Thesauruspicturepainting drawing portrait print sketchThese are all words for a scene, person, or thing that has been represented on paper by drawing, painting, etc.picture a scene, person, or thing that has been represented on paper using a pencil, a pen, or paint:The children were drawing pictures of their pets.painting a picture that has been made using paint:a collection of paintings by Native American artistsdrawing a picture that has been made using a pencil or a pen, not paint:a pencil/charcoal drawingportrait a painting, drawing, or photograph of a person, especially of the head and shoulders:Vermeer's “Portrait of the Artist in his Studio” a self-portrait (= a painting that you do of yourself)print a picture that has been copied from a painting using photography:a Renoir printsketch a simple picture that is drawn quickly and does not have many details:I usually do a few very rough sketches before I start on a painting.Patterns to draw a picture/portrait/sketch to paint a picture/portrait to make a painting/drawing/portrait/print/sketch to do a painting/drawing/portrait/sketch Topic CollocationsFine Artscreating art make a work of art/a drawing/a sketch/a sculpture/a statue/an engraving/an etching/a print do an oil painting/a self-portrait/a line drawing/a rough sketch create a work of art/an artwork/paintings and sculptures produce paintings/portraits/oil sketches/his most celebrated work/a series of prints paint a picture/a landscape/a portrait/a mural/in oils/in watercolors/on canvas draw a picture/a portrait/a cartoon/a sketch/a line/a figure/the human form/in charcoal/in ink sketch a preliminary drawing/a figure/a shape/an outline carve a figure/an image/a sculpture/an altarpiece/reliefs/a block of wood sculpt a (portrait) bust/a statue/an abstract figure etch a line/pattern/design/name into the glass mix colors/pigments/paints add/apply thin/thick layers of paint/color/pigment use oil pastels/charcoal/acrylic paint/a can of spray paint work in bronze/ceramics/stone/oils/pastels/watercolors/a wide variety of mediadescribing art paint/depict a female figure/a biblical scene/a pastoral landscape/a domestic interior have/express/depict/illustrate a traditional/mythological/historical/religious theme create an abstract composition/a richly textured surface/a distorted perspective paint dark/rich/flesh tones use broad brush strokes/loose brushwork/vibrant colors/a limited palette/simple geometric forms develop/adopt/paint in a stylized manner/an abstract styleshowing and selling art commission an altarpiece/a bronze bust of somebody/a portrait/a religious work/an artist to paint something frame a painting/a portrait/a piece/an artwork hang art/a picture/a painting/a piece/an artwork display/exhibit modern art/somebody's work/a collection/original artwork/ drawings/sculptures/a piece be displayed/hung in a gallery/museum install/place a sculpture in/at/on something erect/unveil/dedicate a bronze/marble statue hold/host/mount/open/curate/see an exhibition/exhibit be/go on exhibit feature/promote/showcase contemporary works/a conceptual artist collect African art/modern American paintings/Japanese prints restore/preserve great works of art/a fresco photograph
- 5[countable] a photograph produced from film How many sets of prints would you like? a color print synonyms at Thesaurusphotographpicture photo shot snapshot printThese are all words for a picture that has been made using a camera.photograph a picture that has been made using a camera:a photograph of the house Can I take a photograph?picture a photograph:We had our picture taken in front of the hotel.photo a photograph:a passport photophotograph, picture, or photo?Photograph is slightly more formal and photo is slightly less formal. Picture is used especially in the context of photographs in newspapers, magazines, and books.shot a photograph:I tried to get a shot of him in the water. Shot often places more emphasis on the process of taking the photograph than on the finished picture.snapshot an informal photograph that is taken quickly, and not by a professional photographer:holiday snapshotsprint a copy of a photograph that is produced from film or from a digital camera:a set of printsPatterns a color photograph/picture/photo/snapshot/print to take a photograph/picture/photo/shot/snapshotblueprint cloth
- 6[uncountable, countable] cotton cloth that has a pattern printed on it; this pattern a cotton print dress a floral print Idioms
- 1(of a book) still available from the company that publishes it Is this edition still in print?
- 2(of a person's work) printed in a book, newspaper, etc. It was the first time he had seen his name in print.
printnounnounjump to other results
to be published By the time this gets into print, they'll already have left the country.
get into printjump to other results
in printjump to other results
(of a book) no longer available from the company that publishes it Her first novel is now out of print.
out of printjump to other results