- 1 [countable, uncountable] a thing that is grown or produced, usually for sale dairy/meat/pharmaceutical, etc. products investment in product development to launch a new product onto the market (business) We need new product to sell (= a new range of products). see also end product, gross national product Topic CollocationsBusinessrunning a business buy/acquire/own/sell a company/firm/franchise set up/establish/start/start up/launch a business/company run/operate a business/company/franchise head/run a firm/department/team make/secure/win/lose/block a deal expand/grow/build the business boost/increase investment/spending/sales/turnover/earnings/exports/trade increase/expand production/output/sales boost/maximize production/productivity/efficiency/income/revenue/profit/profitability achieve/maintain/sustain growth/profitability cut/reduce/bring down/lower/slash costs/prices announce/impose/make cuts/cutbackssales and marketing break into/enter/capture/dominate a market capture/gain/grab/take/win/boost/lose market share identify/find/build/create a market for something start/launch an advertising/a marketing campaign develop/launch/promote a product/Web site estimate/assess/create/generate demand for your product attract/get/retain/keep/help customers/clients drive/generate/boost/increase demand/sales beat/keep ahead of/out-think/outperform/ (informal) stymie the competition meet/reach/exceed/miss sales targetsfinance draw up/set/present/propose/agree on/approve a budget keep to/balance/cut/reduce/slash the budget be/come in below/under/over/within budget generate income/revenue/profit(s)/funds/business fund/finance a campaign/a venture/an expansion/spending/a deficit provide/raise/allocate capital/funds attract/encourage investment/investors recover/recoup costs/losses/an investment/an outlay get/obtain/offer somebody/grant somebody credit/a loan apply for/raise/secure/arrange/provide financingfailure lose business/trade/customers/sales/revenue accumulate/accrue/incur/run up debts suffer/sustain enormous/heavy/serious losses face cuts/a deficit/bankruptcy/a shortfall declare/file for/enter/avoid/escape bankruptcy liquidate a company/a business/assets survive/weather a recession/downturn propose/seek/block/oppose a merger launch/make/accept/contest/defeat a takeover bid
- 2[countable] a thing produced during a natural, chemical, or industrial process the products of the reaction see also byproduct, waste product
- 3product of something a person or thing that is the result of something The child is the product of a broken home.
- 4 [countable, uncountable] a cream, jelly, or liquid that you put on your hair or skin to make it look better This product can be used on wet or dry hair. Don't put too much product on your skin.
- 5 (mathematics) a quantity obtained by multiplying one number by another The product of 21 and 16 is 336. Thesaurusproductgoods commodity merchandise produceThese are all words for things that are produced to be sold.product a thing that is produced or grown, usually to be sold:to create/develop/launch a new productgoods things that are produced to be sold:cotton/leather goods electrical/sporting goodscommodity (economics) a product or raw material that can be bought and sold, especially between countries:rice, flour, and other basic commoditiesmerchandise goods that are bought or sold; things that you can buy that are connected with or that advertise a particular event or organization:official Olympic merchandisegoods or merchandise?Choose goods if the emphasis is on what the product is made of or what it is for:leather/household goods. Choose merchandise if the emphasis is less on the product itself and more on its brand or the fact of buying/selling it.produce things that have been grown or made, especially things connected with farming:We sell only fresh local produce.Patterns consumer/industrial products/goods/commodities household products/goods farm products/produce luxury products/goods/commodities to sell/market a product/goods/a commodity/merchandise/produce to export a product/goods/a commodity/merchandise to buy/purchase a product/goods/a commodity/merchandise/produce Word Familyproduce verbproducer nounproduction nounproductive adjective (≠unproductive)productively adverbproduct nounproduce noun
nounjump to other results