- 1[only before noun] connected with a job that needs special training or skill, especially one that needs a high level of education professional qualifications/skills professional standards/practice an opportunity for professional development If it's a legal matter, you need to seek professional advice. You must not let your personal reactions interfere with your professional judgment.
- 2 (of people) having a job that needs special training and a high level of education Most of the people taking the course were professional women.
- 3showing that someone is well trained and extremely skilled synonym competent He dealt with the problem in a highly professional way. Many of the performers were very professional. opposite amateur
- 4suitable or appropriate for someone working in a particular profession professional conduct/misconduct opposite unprofessional
- 5(abbreviation pro) doing something as a paid job rather than as a hobby a professional golfer After he won the amateur championship he turned professional. opposite amateur
- 6 (abbreviation pro) (of sports) done as a paid job rather than as a hobby the world of professional football opposite amateur compare nonprofessional
adjectivejump to other results