- 1 to a great degree; very; really You'll be quite comfortable here. I can see it quite clearly. “You don't have any intention of coming back?” “I'm quite sorry, but no, I don't.”
- 2 to the greatest possible degree synonym completely, absolutely synonym entirely This is quite a different problem. I'm quite happy to wait for you here. It wasn't quite as simple as I thought it would be. Quite frankly, I don't blame you. I've had quite enough of your tantrums. Are you quite sure? Iquite agree. I don't quite know what to do next. Quite apart from all the work, he had financial problems. “I almost think she prefers animals to people.” “Quite right, too,” said Bill. “I'm sorry to be so difficult.” “That's quite all right.”
- 3not quite used to show that something is nearly right or suitable, or almost happens There's not quite enough bread for breakfast. It's like being in the Alps, but not quite. I can't quite reach it—can you give it to me? The theater was not quite full. These shoes don't quite fit. Idioms
- 1a large amount of something She hasn't been seen for quite some time.
- 2(informal) = quitea/the something
adverbjump to other results
used to show that a person or thing is particularly impressive or unusual in some way She's quite a beauty. We found it quite a change when we moved to Boston. He's quite the little gentleman, isn't he? It must be quite some car.
quite a/the something (informal quite some something)jump to other results
used to emphasize that the opposite of what has been said is true I don't find him funny at all. Quite the contrary.
quite the contraryjump to other results
a fairly large number I've been there quite a few times. Quite a few people are going to arrive early.
quite a fewjump to other results
a large number or amount of something They drank quite a lot of wine.
quite a lot (of something)jump to other results
quite some somethingjump to other results
impressive; (of an event) major The alumni will join the cast of 42nd Street onstage. It will be quite something to see.
quite somethingjump to other results