- 1the part of a telephone that you hold close to your mouth and ear to pick up/lift/put down/replace the receiver Topic CollocationsPhonesmaking and receiving phone calls the phone/telephone rings answer/pick up/hang up the phone/telephone lift/pick up/hold/replace the receiver dial a phone number/an extension number/a wrong number/an area code call somebody/talk (to somebody)/speak (to somebody) on the phone/telephone; from home/work/the office make/get/receive a phone call take the phone off the hook (= remove the receiver so that the phone does not ring) the line is busy the phones have been ringing off the hook (= ringing frequently) put somebody through/get through to the person you want to speak to put somebody on hold (= so that they must wait for the person they want to speak to) call from/use a landlinecell phones be/talk on a cell phone/ (informal) cell use/answer/call (somebody on)/get a message on your cell phone/cell switch/turn on/off your cell phone/cell charge/recharge your cell phone/cell a cell phone is on/is off/rings/goes off/is on vibrate/is on silent/is in silent mode send/receive a text (message)/a picture message insert/remove/change a SIM card compare handset
- 2a piece of radio or television equipment that changes broadcast signals into sound or pictures a satellite receiver compare transmitter
- 3 (law) a person who is chosen by a court to be in charge of a company that is bankrupt to call in the receivers The company has been put in the hands of the receiver. A receiver was appointed by the court to handle the company's affairs.
- 4a person who receives something Molly's more of a giver than a receiver.
- 5a person who buys or accepts stolen goods, knowing that they have been stolen
- 6 (in football) a player who is allowed to catch the ball when it is passed forward by the quarterback