- 1 having the color of blood or fire a red car The light (= traffic light) changed to red before I could get across.
- 2(of the eyes) bloodshot (= with thin lines of blood in them) or surrounded by red or very pink skin Her eyes were red from crying.
- 3 (of the face) bright red or pink, especially because you are angry, embarrassed, or ashamed He babbled something and got very red in the face. She was red as a beet.
- 4 (of hair or an animal's fur) red-brown in color a red-haired girl red deer see also redhead
- 5(informal) (sometimes disapproving) (politics) having very left-wing political opinions
- 6 (politics) (of an area in the U.S.) having more people who vote for the Republican candidate than the Democratic one red states/counties opposite blue
- noun [uncountable, singular] You may notice redness and swelling after the injection.Idioms
adjectivejump to other results
rednessjump to other results
something that is likely to make someone very angry
like waving a red flag in front of a bulljump to other results
to go to a lot of different bars, clubs, etc. and enjoy yourself
paint the town (red) (informal)jump to other results