- 1a person who has been chosen to speak or vote for someone else or on behalf of a group a representative of the U.N. our elected representatives in government a union representative The committee includes representatives from industry.
- 2(informal rep) a person who works for a company and travels around selling its products a sales representative She's our representative in France.
- 3 a person chosen to take the place of someone else He was the principal's representative at the ceremony.
- 4a person who is typical of a particular group The singer is regarded as a representative of the youth of her generation.
- 5 Representative (abbreviation Rep.) (in the U.S.) a member of the House of Representatives, the lower house of Congress; a member of the House of Representatives in the lower house of a state legislature
nounjump to other results
NAmE//ˌrɛprɪˈzɛntət̮ɪv//representative (of somebody/something)