- 1 [singular] return (to…) (from…) the action of arriving in or coming back to a place that you were in before He was met by his brother on his return from Italy. I saw the play on its return to Broadway. on the return flight/trip giving/sending back
- 2 [uncountable, singular] the action of giving, putting, or sending something or someone back We would appreciate the prompt return of books to the library. The judge ordered the return of the child to his mother. of feeling/state
- 3 [singular] return (of something) the situation when a feeling or state that has not been experienced for some time starts again synonym reappearance the return of spring a return of my doubts to previous situation/activity
- 4[singular] return to something the action of going back to an activity or a situation that you used to do or be in his return to power They appealed for a return to work (= after a strike). profit
- 5[uncountable, countable] the amount of profit that you get from something synonym earnings, yield a high rate of return on capital farmers seeking to improve returns from their crops official report
- 6[countable] an official report or statement that gives particular information to the government or another body census returns election returns (= the number of votes for each candidate in an election) see also tax return ticket
- 7[countable] a ticket for the theater or a sports game that was bought by someone but is given back to be sold again on computer
- 8[uncountable] (also return key [countable]) the button that you press on a computer when you reach the end of an instruction, or to begin a new line To exit this option, press return. in tennis, etc.
- 9[countable] the action of hitting the ball, etc. back to your opponent a powerful return of serve Idioms
- 1as a way of thanking someone or paying them for something they have done Can I buy you lunch in return for your help?
- 2as a response or reaction to something I asked her opinion, but she just asked me a question in return.
coming backnounjump to other results
in return (for something)jump to other results
used to wish someone a happy and pleasant birthday
many happy returns (of the day)jump to other results
the time when you must continue with what you have decided to do, because it is not possible to get back to an earlier situation
the point of no returnjump to other results