- 1 review something to carefully examine or consider something again, especially so that you can decide whether any changes need to be made synonym reassess to review the evidence The governor will review the situation later in the year. Staff performance is reviewed annually. Thesaurusexamineconsider look at something analyze review study discussThese words all mean to think about, study, or describe someone or something carefully, especially in order to understand them, form an opinion of them, or make a decision about them.examine to think about, study, or describe an idea, subject, or piece of work very carefully:These ideas will be examined in more detail in Chapter 10.consider to think carefully about something, especially in order to make a decision:She carefully considered her options.look at something (somewhat informal) to consider, think about, or study something, especially in order to learn something useful or important:I'm going to look at the budget estimates on the weekend.analyze to examine the nature or structure of something, especially by separating it into its parts, in order to understand or explain it:The job involves gathering and analyzing data. He tried to analyze his feelings.review to examine something again, especially so that you can decide whether any changes need to be made:The government will review the situation later in the year.study to examine someone or something in order to understand them or it:We will study the report carefully before making a decision.examine or study?You examine something in order to understand it or to help other people understand it, for example by describing it in a book; you study something in order to understand it yourself.discuss to write or talk about something in detail, showing the different ideas and opinions about it:This topic will be discussed at greater length in the next chapter.Patterns to examine/consider/look at/analyze/review/study/discuss what/how/whether… to examine/consider/look at/analyze/review/study/discuss the situation/evidence/implications to examine/consider/look at/analyze/review/study/discuss something carefully/critically/systematically/briefly
- 2review something to think about past events, for example to try to understand why they happened synonym take stock of to review your failures and triumphs She had been reviewing the previous week on her way home.
- 3 review something to write a report of a book, play, movie, etc. in which you give your opinion of it The play was reviewed in the newspaper.
- 4review somebody/something to make an official inspection of a group of soldiers, etc. in a military ceremony The Commander-in-Chief reviewed the troops.
- 5 review something to look again at something you have studied, especially in order to prepare for an exam We will be reviewing all the topics covered this semester.
- 6 review something to check a piece of work to see if there are any mistakes Review your work before you turn it in.
NAmE//rɪˈvyu//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they review
he / she / it reviews
past simple reviewed
-ing form reviewing