- 1a piece of wood, metal, or plastic, shaped like a tube, that rolls over and over and is used in machines, for example to make something flat, or to move something the heavy steel rollers under the conveyor belt
- 2(often in compounds) a machine or piece of equipment with a part shaped like a tube so that it rolls backward and forward. It may be used for making something flat, crushing something or spreading something Flatten the surface of the grass with a roller. a paint roller see also steamroller
- 3a piece of wood or metal, shaped like a tube, that is used for moving heavy objects We'll need to move the piano on rollers.
- 4a long powerful wave in the ocean Huge Atlantic rollers crashed onto the rocks.
- 5a small plastic tube that hair is rolled around to give it curls synonym curler heated rollers Her hair was in rollers. see also high roller