- 1[countable] an exciting, usually short, relationship between two people who are in love with each other a shipboard romance They had a whirlwind romance.
- 2[uncountable] love or the feeling of being in love Spring is here and romance is in the air. How can you put the romance back into your marriage? Topic CollocationsMarriage and Divorceromance fall/be (madly/deeply/hopelessly)in love (with somebody) be/believe in/fall in love at first sight be/find true love/the love of your life suffer (from) (the pains/pangs of) unrequited love have/feel/show/express great/deep/genuine affection for somebody/something meet/marry your husband/wife/partner/fiancé/fiancée/boyfriend/girlfriend have/go on a (blind)date be going out with/dating a guy/girl/boy/man/woman move in with/live with your boyfriend/girlfriendweddings get/be engaged/married/divorced arrange/plan a wedding have a big wedding/a honeymoon/a happy marriage have/enter into an arranged marriage call off/cancel/postpone your wedding invite somebody to/go to/attend a wedding/a wedding ceremony/a wedding reception conduct/perform a wedding ceremony exchange rings/wedding vows/marriage vows congratulate/toast/raise a glass to the happy couple be/go on your honeymoon (with your wife/husband) celebrate your first (wedding) anniversaryseparation and divorce be unfaithful to/ (informal) cheat on your husband/wife/partner/fiancé/fiancée/boyfriend/girlfriend have an affair (with somebody) break off/end an engagement/a relationship break up with/ (informal) dump your boyfriend/girlfriend separate from/be separated from/leave/divorce your husband/wife annul/dissolve a marriage file for/ask for/go through/get a divorce get/gain/be awarded/have/lose custody of the children pay alimony/child support (to your ex-wife/husband)
- 3[uncountable] a feeling of excitement and adventure, especially connected to a particular place or activity the romance of travel
- 4[countable] a story about a love affair She's a compulsive reader of romances.
- 5[countable] a story of excitement and adventure, often set in the past medieval romances