- 1(of food, wood, etc.) that has decayed and cannot be eaten or used the smell of rotten vegetables The fruit is starting to go rotten. rotten floorboards
- 2[usually before noun] (informal) very bad synonym terrible I've had a rotten day! What rotten luck! She's a rotten singer.
- 3[usually before noun] (informal) dishonest The organization is rotten to the core.
- 4 [not before noun] (informal) looking or feeling sick She felt rotten.
- 5[not before noun] (informal) feeling guilty about something you have done I feel rotten about leaving them behind.
- 6[only before noun] (informal) used to emphasize that you are angry or upset about something You can keep your rotten money!
rottenness noun [uncountable]jump to other results