- 1 [uncountable] (symbol Ag) a chemical element. Silver is a gray-white precious metal used for making coins, jewelry, decorative objects, etc. a silver chain made of solid silver a silver mine
- 2 [uncountable] coins that are made of silver or a metal that looks like silver I need $2 in silver for the parking meter.
- 3[uncountable] dishes, decorative objects, etc. that are made of silver They've had to sell the family silver to pay the bills.
- 4 [uncountable] a shiny gray-white color see also silvery
- 5[uncountable, countable] = silver medal She won silver in last year's championships. The team won two silvers and a bronze. Idioms
nounjump to other results
having rich parents
born with a silver spoon in your mouth (saying)jump to other results
every sad or difficult situation has a positive side
every cloud has a silver lining (saying)jump to other results
if you are given something on a silver platter, you do not have to do much to get it These rich kids expect to have it all handed to them on a silver platter.
on a silver platterjump to other results