- 1a person or company that pays for a radio or television program, or for a concert or sporting event, usually in return for advertising The race organizers are trying to attract sponsors. The first episode of the new program attracted the number of viewers that the sponsors had been guaranteed.
- 2a person who agrees to give someone money for a charity if that person succeeds in completing a particular activity I'm collecting sponsors for next week's charity run.
- 3 a person or company that supports someone by paying for their training or education Unless he can find a sponsor he'll be forced to retire from sports.
- 4a person who introduces and supports a proposal for a new law, etc. the sponsor of the new immigration bill
- 5a person who agrees to be officially responsible for another person
- 6a person who presents a child for Christian baptism or confirmation synonym godparent