- 1[countable] a shape with four straight sides of equal length and four angles of 90°; a piece of something that has this shape First break the chocolate into squares. The floor was tiled in squares of gray and white marble. see also T-square in town
- 2[countable] an open area in a town, usually with four sides, surrounded by buildings The hotel is just off the main square. the market/town/village square
- 3Square [singular] (abbreviation Sq.) (used in addresses) They live at 5 Plymouth Square. mathematics
- 4[countable] the number obtained when you multiply a number by itself The square of 7 is 49. boring person
- 5 [countable] (informal) (old-fashioned) (disapproving) a person who is considered to be boring, for example because they are old-fashioned or because they work too hard at school Idioms
shapenounjump to other results
a return to the situation you were in at the beginning of a project, task, etc., because you have made no real progress If this suggestion isn't accepted, we'll be back to square one.
back to square onejump to other results