- 1 (formal postage stamp) [countable] a small piece of paper with a design on it that you buy and stick on an envelope or a package before you post it a 20-cent stamp The U.S. postal service is raising the price for a first-class stamp by two cents. He has been collecting stamps since he was eight. a stamp album The Postal Service has issued a commemorative stamp to mark the event. printing tool
- 2[countable] a tool for printing the date or a design or mark onto a surface a date stamp see also rubber stamp printed design/words
- 3[countable] a design or words made by stamping something onto a surface The passports, with the visa stamps, were waiting at the embassy. (figurative) The project has the government's stamp of approval. proof of payment
- 4 [countable] a small piece of paper, stuck on a document to show that a particular amount of money has been paid see also food stamp character/quality
- 5[singular] stamp (of something) (formal) the mark or sign of a particular quality or person All his work bears the stamp of authority.
- 6[singular] (formal) a kind or class, especially of people men of a different stamp of foot
- 7 [singular] an act or sound of stamping the foot The stamp of hooves alerted Isabel.
nounjump to other results