- 1(of humans or animals) not able to produce children or young animals synonym infertile compare fertile
- 2completely clean and free from bacteria sterile bandages sterile water
- 3(of a discussion, an argument, etc.) not producing any useful result synonym fruitless a sterile debate
- 4lacking individual personality, imagination, or new ideas The room felt cold and sterile. He felt creatively and emotionally sterile.
- 5(of land) not good enough to produce crops
sterilityjump to other results
NAmE//stəˈrɪlət̮i//noun [uncountable] The disease can cause sterility in men and women. the meaningless sterility of statistics She contemplated the sterility of her existence.