- 1a small narrow river mountain streams We waded across a shallow stream. see also downstream, upstream, the Gulf Stream
- 2stream (of something) a continuous flow of liquid or gas A stream of blood flowed from the wound. He blew out a stream of cigar smoke. a jet stream see also bloodstream
- 3stream (of something/somebody) a continuous flow of people or vehicles I've had a steady stream of visitors. Cars filed past in an endless stream.
- 4 stream of something a large number of things that happen one after the other a constant stream of inquiries The agency provided me with a steady stream of work. Most of the letter consisted of a stream of abuse.
- 5 video or sound that you play on a computer by receiving it as a continuous stream from the Internet, rather than needing to wait until the whole of the material has been downloaded You can listen to a live stream of the speech at 10:00 a.m.
nounjump to other results