- 1 [countable] = faucet Turn the tap on/off. see also tap water
- 2[countable] a device for controlling the flow of liquid or gas from a pipe or container a gas tap beer taps
- 3 [countable] a light hit with your hand or fingers a tap at/on the door He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around.
- 4[countable] an act of fitting a device to a telephone so that someone's telephone calls can be listened to secretly a phone tap
- 5[uncountable] = tap dance
- 6 [countable] (phonetics) a speech sound that is produced by striking the tongue quickly and lightly against the part of the mouth behind the upper front teeth. The/t/ in later in American English and the/r/ in very in some British accents are examples of taps. synonym flap
- 7taps [uncountable, plural] a tune played on a bugle at military funerals and at the end of the day in military camps Idioms
- 1available to be used at any time We have this sort of information on tap.
- 2beer that is on tap is in a barrel with a tap on it
- 3 (informal) something that is on tap is being discussed or prepared and will happen soon
on tapjump to other results