- 1used to refer to someone or something that has already been mentioned or is easily understood There were three questions. The first two were relatively easy but the third one was hard. There was an accident here yesterday. A car hit a tree and the driver was killed. The heat was getting to be too much for me. The nights are getting longer.
- 2used to refer to someone or something that is the only, normal, or obvious one of their kind the Mona Lisa the Nile the Queen What's the matter? The phone rang. I patted her on the back. How's the (= your) baby?
- 3used when explaining which person or thing you mean the house at the end of the street The people I met there were very friendly. It was the best day of my life. You're the third person to ask me that. Friday the thirteenth Alexander the Great
- 4used to refer to a thing in general rather than a particular example He taught himself to play the violin. The dolphin is an intelligent animal. They placed the African elephant on their endangered list. I heard it on the radio. I'm usually out during the day.
- 5used with adjectives to refer to a thing or a group of people described by the adjective With him, you should always expect the unexpected. the unemployed the French
- 6used before the plural of someone's last name to refer to a whole family or a married couple Don't forget to invite the Jordans.
- 7enough of something for a particular purpose I wanted it but I didn't have the money.
- 8used with a unit of measurement to mean “every” My car does forty miles to the gallon. You get paid by the hour.
- 9 used with a unit of time to mean “the present” Why not have the dish of the day? She's the flavor of the month with him.
- 10NAmE//ði//used, stressing the, to show that the person or thing referred to is famous or important Sheryl Crow? Not the Sheryl Crow? At that time London was the place to be. Idioms
definite articlejump to other results
used to show that two things change to the same degree The more she thought about it, the more depressed she became. The less said about the whole thing, the happier I'll be.
the more, less, etc…, the more, less, etc…jump to other results