- 1[intransitive] when it thunders, there is a loud noise in the sky during a storm
- 2[intransitive] to make a very loud deep noise synonym roar A voice thundered in my ear. thundering traffic
- 3[intransitive] + adv./prep. to move very fast and with a loud deep noise synonym roar Heavy trucks kept thundering past.
- 4 [transitive] thunder something + adv./prep. (informal) to make something move somewhere very fast Essien thundered the puck past the goalie.
- 5[intransitive, transitive] (literary) to shout, complain, etc. very loudly and angrily thunder (something) He thundered against the evils of television. + speech “Sit still!” she thundered.
NAmE//ˈθʌndər//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they thunder
he / she / it thunders
past simple thundered
-ing form thundering