- 1 in the direction of someone or something They were heading toward the Canadian border. She had her back toward me.
- 2 getting closer to achieving something This is a first step toward universal health care.
- 3 close or closer to a point in time toward the end of April
- 4in relation to someone or something He was warm and tender toward her. our attitude toward death
- 5with the aim of obtaining something, or helping someone to obtain something The money will go toward a new school building (= will help pay for it).
prepositionjump to other results
NAmE//tɔrd//, NAmE//twɔrd//, NAmE//ˈtoʊərd//(also towards)