- 1 (also labor union) [countable] an organization of workers, usually in a particular industry, that exists to protect their interests, improve conditions of work, etc. I've joined the union. a union member
- 2 [countable] an association or a club for people or organizations with the same interest see also student union
- 3[countable] a group of states or countries that have the same central government or that agree to work together the former Soviet Union the European Union
- 4Union [singular] the U.S. (used especially at the time of the Civil War) the Union and the Confederacy the State of the Union address by the President
- 5 [uncountable, singular] the act of joining two or more things together; the state of being joined together; the act of two people joining together a summit to discuss economic and monetary union a union with one of the big banks
- 6[countable] (old-fashioned) a marriage Their union was blessed with six children.
nounjump to other results