- 1[uncountable, countable] the amount of space that an object or a substance fills; the amount of space that a container has How do you measure the volume of a gas? jars of different volumes Wait until the dough doubles in volume before kneading it again.
- 2[uncountable, countable] the amount of something the sheer volume (= large amount) of business This work has grown in volume recently. New roads are being built to cope with the increased volume of traffic. Sales volumes fell 0.2% in June.
- 3[uncountable] the amount of sound that is produced by a television, radio, etc. to turn the volume up/down
- 4[countable] (abbreviation vol.) a book, that is part of a series of books an encyclopedia in 20 volumes
- 5 [countable] (formal) a book a library of over 50,000 volumes a slim volume of poetry
- 6[countable] (abbreviation vol.) a series of different issues of the same magazine, especially all the issues for one year New Scientist volume 142, number 3 Idioms
nounjump to other results
to tell you a lot about something or someone, without the need for words His achievement speaks volumes for his determination. What you wear speaks volumes about you.
speak volumes (about/for something/somebody)jump to other results