- 1[uncountable, countable] the act of moving or taking something away or back the withdrawal of support the withdrawal of the UN troops from the region the withdrawal of a product from the market
- 2 [uncountable] the act of no longer taking part in something or being a member of an organization his withdrawal from the election
- 3[countable] the act of taking an amount of money out of your bank account You can make withdrawals of up to $250 a day.
- 4 [uncountable] the period of time when someone is getting used to not taking a drug that they have become addicted to, and the unpleasant effects of doing this I got withdrawal symptoms after quitting smoking.
- 5 [countable, usually singular, uncountable] the act of saying that you no longer believe that something you have previously said is true synonym retraction The newspaper published a withdrawal the next day.
- 6[uncountable] (psychology) the behavior of someone who wants to be alone and does not want to communicate with other people She is showing signs of withdrawal and depression.