- 1 [uncountable] the activity of writing, in contrast to reading, speaking, etc. Our son's having problems with his reading and writing (= at school)
- 2[uncountable] the activity of writing books, articles, etc., especially as a job Only later did she discover a talent for writing. He is leaving the band to concentrate on his writing. creative writing feminist/travel, etc. writing see also songwriting
- 3[uncountable] books, articles, etc. in general The review is a brilliant piece of writing.
- 4writings [plural] a group of pieces of writing, especially by a particular person or on a particular subject His experiences in India influenced his later writings. the writings of Hegel
- 5[uncountable] words that have been written or painted on something There was writing all over the desk.
- 6[uncountable] the particular way in which someone forms letters when they write synonym handwriting Who's this from? I don't recognize the writing. Idioms
nounjump to other results
in the form of a letter, document, etc. (that gives proof of something) All telephone reservations must be confirmed in writing. Could you put your complaint in writing? You must get it in writing.
in writingjump to other results
used when you are describing a situation in which there are signs that something is going to have problems or that it is going to be a failure It is amazing that not one of them saw the writing on the wall. From the Bible story in which strange writing appeared on a wall during a feast given by King Belshazzar, predicting Belshazzar's death and the fall of his city.
the writing is on the wall, see the writing on the wall, the handwriting on the wall (saying)jump to other results