- 1 [often passive] to care for a child, teaching him or her how to behave, etc. synonym raise She brought up five children. He was brought up by his aunt. a well/badly brought up child bring somebody up to do something They were brought up to (= taught as children to) respect authority. + noun I was brought up a Catholic. related noun upbringing See related entries: Raising children
- 2(law) to make somebody appear for trial He was brought up on a charge of drunken driving.
- 1 to mention a subject or start to talk about it synonym raise Bring it up at the meeting.
- 2to vomit to bring up your lunch
- 3to make something appear on a computer screen Click with the right mouse button to bring up a new menu.