- 1 (of a vehicle) to hit something violently The car skidded and went into a tree.
- 2(of a vehicle or driver) to start moving in a particular way The plane went into a nosedive.
- 3 to join an organization, especially in order to have a career in it to go into the Army/the Church/Parliament to go into teaching
- 4to begin to do something or behave in a particular way He went into a long explanation of the affair.
- 5to examine something carefully We need to go into the question of costs.
- 6(of money, time, effort, etc.) to be spent on something or used to do something More government money needs to go into the project. go into something doing something Years of work went into researching the book.