- 1 an act of hitting somebody/something with your hand or with an object held in your hand Give it a good hit. He made the winning hit.
- 2 an occasion when something that has been thrown, fired, etc. at an object reaches that object The bomber scored a direct hit on the bridge. The aircraft suffered seven hits in the raid. We finished the first round with a score of two hits and six misses. something popular
- 3 a person or thing that is very popular The duo were a real hit in last year's show. a hit musical The film was a hit for him in 2008. Her new series is a smash hit. pop music
- 4 a successful pop song or record They are about to release an album of their greatest hits. She played all her old hits. a hit record/single See related entries: Listening to music of drug
- 5(slang) an amount of an illegal drug that is taken at one time a hit of cocaine/heroin murder
- 6(slang, especially North American English) a violent crime or murder see also hitman computing
- 7 on occasion on which a web page is displayed or a file is downloaded from the Internet Our website is getting a lot of hits from the USA. How many hits did you get? Word Origin late Old English hittan (in the sense ‘come upon, find’), from Old Norse hitta
act of hitting