- 1 the male ruler of an independent state that has a royal family the kings and queens of England to be crowned king King George V Wordfinderabdicate, accede, crown, king, government, monarch, throne, reign, royal, succession
- 2king (of something) a person, an animal or a thing that is thought to be the best or most important of a particular type the king of comedy The lion is the king of the jungle.
- 3used in compounds with the names of animals or plants to describe a very large type of the thing mentioned a king penguin
- 4 the most important piece used in the game of chess, that can move one square in any direction
- 5 a playing card with the picture of a king on it Word Origin Old English cyning, cyng, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch koning and German König, also to kin.Extra examples He became the uncrowned king of the East End, scoring 28 goals in his first season. He died bravely, serving his king. He is the undisputed king of talk shows. He was crowned king at the age of fifteen. He was nominated for prom king in high school. Life under the new king was very different. The kings of Sicily also ruled over the southern part of Italy. The new king was crowned immediately. the King of Spain the future king of England the king’s decision to abdicate the uncrowned king of hip-hop Charles remained a close ally to the French king throughout his reign. His daughter, Anne, married King Richard III.Idioms (literary) a very large amount of money
to give information against other criminals in order to get a less severe punishment compare plea bargaining the person considered to be the best, most famous or successful in a particular place or area of activity