a well-known US department store in Chicago. It was established on State Street in 1868 when Marshall Field moved his small shop (founded in 1852) there. He increased its size in 1907, and Marshall Field's became a place for social meetings, with a Ladies' Parlour and a Men's Reading and Writing Room. It has seven floors around a large central area which is open to the top of the building. In 2005 it was bought by Macy's and has been called Macy's since 2006.