- 1 [countable] a large shop that sells many different types of goods a big department store see also chain store, variety store Wordfinderassistant, buy, counter, display, fitting room, promotion, sale, shop, store, till Wordfinderappliances, cookware, fashion, furnishings, hardware, linen, lingerie, menswear, stationery, store See related entries: Types of stores, Shopping in stores, Departments in stores, In the store
- 2 [countable] (North American English) a shop, large or small a health food store a liquor store CollocationsShoppingShopping go/go out/be out shopping go to (especially British English) the shops/(especially North American English) a store/(especially North American English) the mall do (British English) the shopping/(especially North American English) the grocery shopping/a bit of window-shopping (North American English, informal) hit/hang out at the mall try on clothes/shoes indulge in some retail therapy go on a spending spree cut/cut back on/reduce your spending be/get caught shoplifting donate something to/take something to/find something in (British English) a charity shop/(North American English) a thrift store buy/sell/find something at (British English) a car boot sale/(British English) a jumble sale/a garage sale/(North American English) a yard sale find/get/pick up a bargainAt the shop/store load/push/wheel (British English) a trolley/(North American English) a cart stand in/wait in (British English) the checkout queue/(North American English) the checkout line (North American English) stand in line/ (British English) queue at the checkout bag (especially North American English) (your) groceries pack (away) (especially British English) your shopping stack/stock/restock the shelves at a store (with something) be (found) on/appear on supermarket/shop/store shelves be in/have in/be out of/run out of stock deal with/help/serve customers run a special promotion be on special offerBuying goods make/complete a purchase buy/purchase something online/by mail order make/place/take an order for something buy/order something in bulk/in advance accept/take credit cards pay (in) cash/by (credit/debit) card/(British English) with a gift voucher/(North American English) with a gift certificate enter your PIN number ask for/get/obtain a receipt return/exchange an item/a product be entitled to/ask for/demand a refund compare prices offer (somebody)/give (somebody)/get/receive a 30% discount see also consignment shop, convenience store, general store, package store See related entries: Types of stores
- 3[countable] a quantity or supply of something that you have and use her secret store of chocolate a vast store of knowledge
- 4[plural] stores goods of a particular kind or for a particular purpose medical stores
- 5[countable] (also stores) a place where goods of a particular kind are kept a grain store weapons stores Word Origin Middle English: shortening of Old French estore (noun), estorer (verb), from Latin instaurare
to be in charge of something for a short time while somebody is away Who's minding the shop while the boss is abroad? to consider something to be important She sets great store by her appearance. It is unwise to put too much store by these statistics.