- 1 affairs [plural] events that are of public interest or political importance world/international/business affairs an expert on foreign affairs (= political events in other countries) affairs of state event
- 2 [countable, usually singular] an event that people are talking about or describing in a particular way The newspapers exaggerated the whole affair wildly. The debate was a pretty disappointing affair. She wanted the celebration to be a simple family affair. relationship
- 3 [countable] a sexual relationship between two people, usually when one or both of them is married to someone else She is having an affair with her boss. see also love affair private business
- 4 affairs [plural] matters connected with a person's private business and financial situation I took care of my father's financial affairs. She wanted to put her affairs in order before she died.
- 5[singular] a thing that someone is responsible for (and that other people should not be concerned with) synonym business How I spend my money is my affair. object
- 6[countable] (old-fashioned) (with an adjective) an object that is unusual or difficult to describe Her hat was an amazing affair with feathers and a huge brim. Idioms
nounjump to other results